Sunday, May 11, 2008

Dude

Just like every weekend this year, I was out riding by myself today.

Catch up and pass a guy whose bike is making more noise than the 12 year old VW diesel getta I drove in high school. He smiles and I'm willing to exchange a few pleasantries. It is a lovely day. Yes, I am having a really nice ride, thank you. But dude. I don't know who you are and we are not going anywhere together today. I am going to Whytecliff Park. Alone. At my own pace. My pace which is faster than you on the climbs and very slightly slower than you on the descents. You descend faster courtesy of what is known as 'little g', your heavier bike and the extra mass around your mid-section that probably weighs more than my bike. It's a narrow road to Whytecliff Park and when I have to pass you the second time on the next little roller around the blind corner with the public bus behind me it is not fun.

You can't know that my huge(huge) pet peeve is men passing me on the downhills but being unable to keep the pace on the next climb. But when you pass me for the third time on the third downhill section.. just next time, please, spit down next to your front fork. Not out to the side at 30 km/h.

It was motivating to hammer the next 20 kms just to get away from you.

Regardless of the numbskull on wheels incident, the training is going great with another 100 road kms today. K and I went to Fromme for some mtn biking yesterday. I decided we should go all the way to 7th Secret to scope out the trail conditions. Trail conditions suck. The top 1/3 is still snow covered. We boot skied with our bikes. It was good we had armor as the snow was rotten and it saved our calves when we post-holed. Bottom 2/3 was great. K has wicked skills and it's a treat to ride and get tips from her. It's good the BCBR isn't a technical ride or I'd never be able to hang with her!

1 comment:

ssportsman said...

Dude.. Maybe you won't have to ride alone this weekend