Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Night Rides and Expectations

Even southern latitudes in a northern country mean that the winter nights are long. Thanks to an early switch to day light savings time most of today's after work ride was (mostly) in daylight. Left the office at 5:30. Got home, fed the cats, changed bikes, changed bike shoes, changed bike jackets, changed the bike lights from the commuter to the Trek. I almost look like a roadie these days and I wonder about the correlation between decent bike tights that keep my joints warm and a reduction in knee pain. But we all know that correlation is not necessarily causal.

What I am really struggling with is my expectations of training. The training program on the BCBR site is geared for a professional level rider. It says so in black and white. I'm not a pro rider (heck according to the province of BC, I'm not even a professional geoscientist yet and don't even meet the academic requirements with an undergrad in geological engineering and a masters in geochemistry. grumble. grumble.). My last and only year of bike racing was in the twilight years of the last century. Ok, it was Colorado 1998. A particularly good year if only b/c of excellent cycling friends. Nevertheless, I expect myself to try and follow this training program? It is probably the fear of the dreaded DNF driving me. Must train hard to finish. Managed 37 km after work + 26 km commute = not bad for a desk jockey.


OK, it is nerdy, but the previous plot shows the speed for each of last year's womens teams for each stage and the calculated minimum required speed for each stage based on 2008 distances and time cut-offs. There is consolation in the graph. While I've never been a winner in athletic competitions, I have generally been reasonably competitive (defined as not in the bottom 50%). Therefore, if of all 9 all women teams from 2007, there was only 1 speed less than the minimum required, then I should successfully complete this race. There are zero concerns about team mate Kirsty finishing as she is simply amazing.

3 comments:

ssportsman said...

knees don't generate heat from pedaling, but they get very cold from exposure..

cold knees hurt..

Looks like you are getting lots of kms in right now, which is what you need. I wouldn't focus too much on the numbers in the training plans, just its format. Mixing in long, slow rides with shorter rides of higher intensity. And don't neglect your recovery days/rides. Just as important as high intensity days.

EmC said...

So, utilizing you as my remote yet attentive friend/training reference, how do I deal with coomuting on the off days?

The current structure is Mondays and Fridays off. Do I stop commuting those days?

ssportsman said...

open call. if you're tired, don't commute, if you're not tired then save some petrol