Sunday, January 11, 2009


Another weekend in Central California and another weekend in denial about my return to Vancouver.
Friday night we ended up at the local climbing gym/bike shop where Scott got a good deal on a few wheels and I bemoaned the lack of 5.7 and easy 5.8 routes.
Saturday required an alarm clock to wake up for a group road ride with the Kern Wheelmen. The ride was in the mountains above the Central Valley fog. It was sunny and warm and I wish that my fitness was up for more than the 45 miles we managed to roll.Home by early Saturday afternoon and good thing as Scott has a few hours of work to get the fixies ready for the next morning. See, we've talked about having a lazy weekend with a cruise to the coffee shop in the morning. This vision required the right bikes and the right hipness (ya know, so we could, like, hang with the cool fixie kids in downtown Bako). *rolls eyes*

How many cranks do you own?!??!?!!!



Sunday morning was lazy and we slowly rolled the fixies to the local bagel shop. Scott rocked the perfectly rolled pants and argyle sweater! My intrinsic geekiness dominated. Sigh. Coolness constantly evades me. (BTW, a fixed gear bike means that there is no free wheel. If the back wheel is moving then the pedals are spinning. Conversely, if you stop pedalling then then wheel stops rolling and you crash. No coasting).
The weather here is warmer and sunnier then Vancouver has been since about October. After the morning on fixies we donned jerseys and shorts/knee warmers for the afternoon Southern Sierra Fat Tire Assocation group ride in the foothills. Scott continues to let me ride his Walt Works custom 29" single speed. I LOVE this bike. LOVE. Which means for the last 3 SSFTA rides Scott has been rocking his fixed Surly rat ride. Yup, fixied gear mountain biking. My sweetest rocks. Even if he didn't let me ride the Walt, he would still rock.
The Walt and the Rat Ride


All smiles before another descent into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.


Scott playing on a great banked wall.



Groovin' on the Walt and grinning down Mr. Toad's.

THE END

1 comment:

cathygebhardt said...

Thanks for the translation! I was wondering if I needed a biking dictionary to keep up! Looks like a great time!