Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ooooff

My belly hurts. Some days it seems like I can't get enough food. I know the vending machine isn't full of actual "food" just fatty, salty, tastiness smothered in chocolate. Lunch was wonderful (buckwheat soba noodles with tempeh, steamed veggies and homemade peanut sauce) but I broke down and had a candy bar and feel like....like it is a really good thing today's scheduled ride is 3 hours! Lesson learned: stick to the dark chocolate covered espresso beans in my middle left hand desk drawer.

It doesn't seem like I've been riding a lot, but this is likely the most regimented program for me since the university swim team in Golden (= long time ago). As I've gotten older, and a lot more comfortable with myself and body, my diet has changed. A lot more protein, though still all veggie based, a lot more oils and fats and nuts and my body hasn't really changed. I've weighed the same (+/- 5 lbs) since grade 10. The point of this paragraph being I wonder if I could have been a faster university swimmer if I'd had a better diet with more protein and fat and had been less worried about gaining weight? Nevertheless, it's a good thing avocados are expensive and generally poor quality here in Canada. But it would be nice to get some chilies peppers and decent Mexican food. Don't even ask about the margaritas north of the 49th parallel...

I think that the riding has been good and relatively consistent recently. No long rides this past weekend as my mother was visiting, but still managed a couple 2-3 hour ski tours and 5 mile trail run together. Lots of fun. I had a short 2 hour hill session Sunday after dropping mom at the airport. Monday was an easy 38 km. Yesterday was commuting and a short 1 hour hill session. Though with the new road bike hills are very enjoyable!

The forecast for the weekend shows Saturday as partly sunny with a temp of 21C!!! Perhaps a ride with just knee warmers and not full tights? One of my downhill mtn biker co-workers has promised to ride Mt Seymour with me this weekend. Hopefully hit Pingu/Pangor and maybe Corkscrew??

Picture from gutsploder.com where I spend hours of nonchargable time daydreaming. Wonder if I'll ever have the courage to ride this?

1 comment:

ssportsman said...

No margaritas north of the 49th parallel.. pffftt. Do you at least have some good beers? I'm looking forward to sampling some of your local riding over May 2-4 weekend, but, I'll be honest and admit that this is a cause for concern.. Choco-covered espresso and your lunch sounds tempting though. Maybe I'll sneak some CO Whiskey across the border.. It's nice to see that you're enjoying the hills without a triple on the front, and I can't wait to ride some of your trails (in full armor, of course)...